I get that too, sometimes, and I don't know why yet.  On my system(s), VR3
keeps working even after that, though the same thing sometimes gets raised
over and over, after it happens once.

On my copy, I have changed the position of a try statement to catch this
and at least be a little calmer about printing an error message.

The new code reads:

def show_toolbar(self):
    try:
        _toolbar = self.vr3_toolbar
    except RuntimeError as e:
        g.es(f'show_toolbar(): {type(e)}: {e}')
        return

    try:
        if _toolbar and _toolbar.isHidden():
            _toolbar.setVisible(True)
    except RuntimeError as e:
        g.es('show_toolbar(): %s: %s' % (type(e), e))
As I say, this does not *cure* the problem, it just calms things down a
little.