On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 4:45:01 PM UTC-4, Matt Wilkie wrote:

> I've always installed Leo using pip.  I still don't understand what
>> "--editable" accomplishes, so I've never used it.
>>

> *Pip install* puts the package and all the files it says it needs under
> PYTHONHOME/Lib/site-packages and creates a launch wrapper in
> PYTHONHOME/Scripts.
>
> Pip install *--editable* doesn't copy anything, puts link files in Lib
> pointing to the code location, and creates the launch wrapper to code
> location.

So if I had a clone at d:\leo-clone, I'd use the following?

python -m pip install --editable d:\leo-clone

I  have been setting PYTHONPATH to d:\leo-clone.  This has always seemed to
work well, as long as the dependencies have been installed in my main
Python install (because of a previous Leo install, for example).  This way,
I can always switch back to using the previous install just by launching
from another terminal without setting PYTHONPATH.