On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 7:17 AM vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't mind if c.redraw becomes a do-nothing. I just want to know how
it's going to work.

For outline modifications initiated by scripts we will have to redraw the
> outline. To make it quick I plan to use diff algorithm similar to one I
> wrote earlier in the tree-refresh branch.

Hmm. I suppose that would work. If it's fast enough it could be called
automatically at the end of every command, including execute-script.

I would still recommend that p.clone and other methods for model
> modifications get redirected to tree.clone_node, tree.move_node_up,... and
> others. They will automatically update view. This updates should be quite
> fast and no need to distinguish them from pure model modifications. This
> screen updates can be prevented by using tree.blockSignals if necessary.

I have a queasy feeling about this. It would seem to imply major changes to
the console gui code.

Btw, I forgot to mention in my earlier comments that w.blockSignals looks
like the way to avoid lockouts.

> The only way to modify the outline that we can't really control is when
> scripts use only v-nodes for making direct links like
> parent_v.children.append(child) or similar. For those modifications we need
> to redraw the tree after each script execution.

Or maybe redraw after idle time.

All modifications from the Leo core, should be just redirected to their
> doubles implemented in tree (c.clone -> tree.clone_node, c.moveOutlineUp ->
> tree.move_node_up, ...)

I'd like to withhold judgment about all of this for now.

Imo, the prototype, including the tree-refresh branch, is worth further
exploration. The ideal would be to leave all the assumptions behind Leo's
core unchanged.