This fix involves a tweak to Leo's lowest level key-handling code, namely
filter.doAltTweaks. No change to Leo's abbreviation code seems to be
necessary.

Although the change appears slight, it might have significant
ramifications. Indeed, my first attempt (in devel) failed. I backed out of
the change and made what looks like the correct change in the #1563 branch.

Please test the code now. I'll wait for a day before merging.