>From reading the recent messages I'm quickly developing an appreciation for
all these edge cases.

When I'm coding (which is not very often these days), this raises my
"spidey sense" that there is a much more elegant solution lurking
somewhere.

The node marking approach may well be "it". Makes a lot of sense. Although
this does repurpose the node marking feature a little, does it not? Which
nodes are marked and which aren't now matters for desired templating
behaviour, but node marking still plays the other roles it's had until now.
Consequently, "unmark all nodes" now has an undesirable side effect if one
has templates in their tree. That could be worked around with a little
scripting (perhaps a little script to re-mark the desired nodes in the
template). But then as I type the last sentence the thought occurs to me
that I could just write a script to generate a copy of a template precisely
how I like/need.

Hmmmmmmm