> I deleted everything , and found a solution at
> http://leoeditor.com/installing.html#installing-leo-from-sources-all-platforms
>  with *git clone --single-branch -b devel --depth=200
> https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor.git*
>

> This gave me a new repo that is on the 'devel' branch! (this inverted the
> problem : its the only branch it seems to be aware of when i do "git branch
> -r" )

That should be *"git clone --no-single-branch ..."* to avoid the problem.
And, the instructions on that page are my doing. I'll update shortly.

> *EDIT - FOUND BEST SOLUTION: Adds a remote branch to a shallow cloned
> repository ! Hurray! :** git remote set-branches origin 'devel' *

Excellent, and, FYI, you can use ` git remote set-branches origin '*' ` to
enable all branches on a single-branch clone.

Git is really amazing, I love what it does for us. I rather resent all the
arcana I've been forced to learn though!

-matt