On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 10:29:41 AM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 9:17 AM tbp1...@gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/> <tbp1...@gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/>> wrote:
> As a proof of principle, I have already adapted VR3 to run in  tab.  It
> didn't take many changes.
>

> I see.  If this is the extent of the idea, I don't see a problem.  Why is
> a tab superior to a separate VR pane?

This would be only part of the picture.  And having the body pane as a tab
in the log pane isn't an essential part of this idea.  It just shows that
the tab-making machinery of the log pane could work basically unchanged in
place of the current body pane.  The rest of the idea is the addition of
new objects to nodes, such a c.canvas, that could contain data or perhaps
to be rendered, graphed, or otherwise displayed.

Displaying a rendering in a tabbed pane instead of a separate VR pane has
the benefit of more screen viewing area, which is annoying lacking when the
Leo window is split up into three panes - unless you have a large hi-res
monitor or multiple monitors.  In addition, tabbed panes would probably be
better when you have several different kinds of rendering and image display
to do.  For example, it's tricky swapping a Matplotlib Qt canvas in and out
all the time, and there are probably memory leaks involved each time.  If a
tab always held a Qy canvas for Matplotlib, then it wouldn't have to be
swapped when one wanted to render a Markdown page, for example.

For example, my mindmap script writes the svg for a mindmap to a node then
selects that node so that vr3 will render it.  There isn't currently a way
to send the svg directly to vr3 except by putting it into a node.  If it
could be written to c.canvas of the current node, then vr3 could pick it up
from there, no need to create an additional node or a temporary file (the
main other way that VR/VR3 gets data to render).  This could be simulated
by copying the svg to the clipboard and getting vr3 to plot from the
clipboard.  But that technique is limited to markup like svg.  If we had a
c.canvas, all kinds of things could be put there, including perhaps binary
data.