I have thought about this.  It's certainly a possibility.  One reason I
didn't put effort into it is that, if you open a theme outline while Leo is
already open, its colors take over even for outlines that are already
open.  But the name of the theme that Leo reports back to a program does
not change to match.  So the only way to be sure of choosing a reasonable
highlight color for the theme in effect is to take the actual colors from
the body pane, and compute the color based on them.

I could look into it further, though.