> Unlike all my recursive attempts, this iterative solution effortlessly
> inserts new nodes.

This solution may look like iterative, but it just hides the recursion
inside moveToThreadNext.  Effectively the recursion is implemented by hand
using p.stack instead of the true recursion implemented by using the Python
stack.

Have you tested it for speed? I really doubt that it would gain any speed
improvements.  I don't know against which other implementation you compare
the speed, but I am almost 100% certain that it would be far slower than
using recursion directly on v-nodes.

I would expect this script to be slower than the naive recursive
implementation using recursive calls. The solution implemented by using
Python generators directly on v-nodes (at least in my experience) is the
fastest.