" Thomas seems to think that *not* saving settings files is less
surprising, but I have some doubts."  No,  I think that settings files
*should* be saved.  Not other files, though.  I suppose the risk is that
you changed a setting in some other file and forgot to save it.  Then the
new local setting won't take effect after reloading settings, which would
be a surprise.

But wait, I've been assuming that settings could be reloaded from in-memory
outlines. But that's not the case, is it?  They only get re-read as the
outline gets opened.  In that case, I should cancel what I said: all files
except an unnamed one should get saved first after all.   Or the local
outline settings should get re-read from the outline as it is in memory,
but that's probably too big a change.