Looks to me like an simple oversight.  In leoSettings.leo (where the base
key bindings are defined), Alt-[ is mapped to contract-node but only in
emacs mode.  Alt-] is mapped to expand-node in both regular and emacs
modes.  I didn't find any other mapping for Alt-[ that would conflict.

I'd just go ahead and put it into your myLeoSettings.leo file if you
haven't already done so.