Yes, the PR did its job and Leo can start.  And I finally solved the
problem of the missing en_US dictionary.  It turns out that on Manjaro, you
have to open the Settings applet, then the Manjaro Settings Manager, then
double-click on Language Packages, and then finally you can install the
dictionary.  After all that, Leo's spell checker is working.