Hmm, I forgot to check with Linux.  I'll do that next.

OK, I don't see the splash screen on two different Linux VMs.  I see what's
happening. When Leo starts, I see the splash screen forming and the region
that the image will occupy is blanked (or made transparent, possibly).  But
then the rest of the splash screen construction blocks as the main Leo
window opens and starts to paint, and you never get to see if it's still
there or not.

This behavior may be caused by the extra time needed to convert the SVG
image. though I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can come up with some way to prevent this.