The current PR says this:

      '!' sets the directory to g.app.loadDir.
        '~' sets the directory to os.path.expanduser('~')
        '*' sets the directory to os.environ['LEO_BASE_DIRECTORY'] or
            os.path.expanduser('~') if the environment variable does not
exist.

1. I don't see any need to use the expression "{{~}}". Just using "~" works
now - no need to change it, IMHO.  It would add visual clutter for no
benefit.
2. I'd like to see mnemonic symbols.  For example:

    {{loadDir}}
    {{LEOBASE}}

While we're at it, let's have all the symbolic Leo directories available -

g.app.homeDir #C:/Users/tom
g.app.homeLeoDir #C:/Users/tom/.leo
g.app.leoDir #c:/Tom/git/leo-editor/leo
g.app.loadDir #c:/Tom/git/leo-editor/leo/core
g.app.extensionsDir #c:/Tom/git/leo-editor/leo/extensions
g.app.testDir #c:/Tom/git/leo-editor/leo/test

Then I could write, for example:

@file {{leoDir}}/plugins/new_plugin.py
@file ~/.leo/themes/tbp_new_theme.leo  # or {{homeLeoDir}}/themes/
tbp_new_theme.leo

This would be very easy to read, write, and understand, and would be easy
to implement.  Visual clutter would be at a minimum.

3. I'd like to add an alias for *loadDir* - *leoCoreDir*. It's more
mnemonic.  I'm never sure I remember what *loadDir* means.