I created a new Ubuntu VM with 22.04.2.  To install the "guest additions"
so that the Ubuntu window could be resized ot something useful, I had to run

sudo apt-get install gcc make perl

I installed pip with

sudo apt install python3-pip

Then I installed Leo from PyPi:

python3 -m pip install --user leo

Leo failed to run:

python3 -m leo.core.runLeo

The error message included a line I've seen before:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
though it was found.

I remembered that I've encountered this before and solved it by installing
a .so library.  It's some kind of a packaging error by Ubuntu.  I couldn't
find any notes about doing so, so I searched the internet, but the
best-looking solution I tried didn't fix the problem.

Rather than spend more time, I just installed PyQt6 and after this Leo runs:

python3 -m pip install --user pyqt6

To get the viewrendered3 plugin to work, you will also need to install the
WebEngine for PyQt6:

python3 -m install --user PyQt6-WebEngine