On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 10:36:32 PM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 4:48 PM Thomas Passin <tbp1...@gmail.com> wrote:

So now my bookmarks manager will not work, something I use every day and
depend on.  I suppose I will have to pull out code from the attic and put
it into my own module.  Or recreate the pathlike part of the functionality,
anyway.

Don't panic. I'll work with you on this.

I have just completed taking the currently-existing unl handling functions
p.get_UNL(), g.findUNL(), and g.handleUnl() from the core - the ones
scheduled to go to the attic or be changed - and turned them into
stand-alone functions in my bookmarks manager. I pass p and g as function
arguments instead of using instance method calls.  That turned out to be
easy since I used them in only a few places, and in a well-defined way that
was easy to adapt.  The revised code is working.  So that's a relief.

Next I need to see if I can do the same for the zettelkasten code.

However, I feel strongly that p.get_GNX() should return the position's
actual gnx string, which is what the name says it does..  There should be
another method, say p.get_unl_gnx() to return that new unl:gnx: string.
Let's have these method names reflect what they actually do! I assume that
p.v.gnx will still be the actual gnx string, is that right?