On Monday, May 13, 2024 at 8:18:56 PM UTC-4 chr...@gmail.com wrote:

OK, it *WORKS*.
*THANK YOU SO MUCH THOMAS!* I got the job done just as my nightly backups
started, ruthlessly hogging the CPU of the laptop I was using.

Glad I could help!

By the way, several other plugins don't work anymore. I forgot which ones.

There are quite a few, actually.  Some never got updated for Qt, and some
weren't updated for Qt6.  Their original authors haven't thought to see if
they work (maybe they have moved on and don't use the plugin any more).  In
some cases, the plugins may have been subjected to some enhancement,
usually adding type hints, that ended up changing some variable or property
such that the code no longer worked.  There are still (I'm pretty sure) old
plugins that were written for Python2 and never updated.

No one is interested in working through all of them and getting them
working.  Who wants to spend time figuring out how a plugin works that one
doesn't want to use anyway, especially if using it is complex and hard to
understand?  In the case of leo-to-html, I got curious to see if it did
something I'd like, and when I looked at it, the code and operation seemed
fairly simple, so I spent the time for you.

The "outside of the python directory" LEO-EDITOR-MASTER trick is a very
good one. It makes updating both python and Leo sources much easier,
without having to create environments etc. It seems to have disappeared
from the "downloading Leo" webpage, though. There was a "downloading
sources" section, and I always assumed that the other download methods were
providing a kind of half "compiled' Leo, so I never used them. Is that the
case? now the whole sources package can be downloaded from github, I guess.

Nowadays the equivalent would be the *leo-editor* directory, which is above
the *leo* directory in the repository.  You get it if you clone the repo.

"Leo is a PIM" is not really true anymore.
Without the whole professional programmer's knowledge of all the
intricacies of  process and online platforms such as github and all the
extra software used to put together and install something like Leo, the guy
like me for whom computers are first and foremost (addictive) tools to
achieve other things, Leo's complexity has evolved so much that it is now
only a great tool for programmers.

I'm planning to go back to OmniOutliner: I'll have my outlines (with
pictures) on my Mac, on my PCs through Teamviewer, and on my iPad and
iPhone without having to convert them to OPML with a script. I won't have
to go through reams of scattershot documentations at every turn of the road.

It was an interesting adventure...