I'm getting a better idea of what may be going on.  Leo's spell checker
tries to load the pyenchant module (which contains a speller and some word
dictionaries). If that is not available, then the code branches to the code
with the bug.  On Linux, in this condition, Leo did open its GUI window but
it was very small.  When I expanded it an empty outline was displayed,
although it was called "workbook".

When I fixed the bug by deleting the ".d", and made sure that enchant was
not available, then Leo opened normally, although it did not have a
spell-checking tab, which makes sense.

Perhaps pyenchant is not available for the Mac Python distribution?  It can
be checked for by by activating your venv and issuing the command

python3 -m pip list |grep "pyenchant".

If it's listed then open a Python interpreter session and try to import it:

import enchant  # Not a typo - right name is "enchant", not "pyenchant"

If it's not there, you can search on line to see if it can be obtained for
the Mac.  In the meantime you can get Leo working right by finding the
python file named in the error message, finding that line, and deleting the
characters ".d".  Save the file.  Leo should then run correctly.