On Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 11:04:15 PM UTC-4 andyjim wrote:

one more question and I'll try to leave you alone:
I use Bike, an outlining editor. The file extension is .bike
Can I represent an external Bike file in a Leo outline and from that Leo
outline can I open the external file in the Bike application?

I don't know anything about a Bile file.  In general, if you can run Bike
and get it to pen a file from the command line, we can easily issue that
command from within Leo.  I see that a Bike outline is an html file. I
don't know where they keep their images, etc, but it's not hard to display
an html file in Leo.  Editing it is something else, though. I see that Bike
also has an OPML format too.  OPML is a XML file but has a bad design for
interchanging anything complicated.  In theory, an XSLT transformation
could be written to convert it into a Leo file.  It's been so long since I
worked on XSLT transformations (about 20 years) that I'm awfully rusty.
There's also said to be a text format for Bike but I don't know anything
about that.

So the answer might be that it can probably be done, but you might not be
able to do the kind of editing of rich text that you can apparently do in
Bike.  OTOH, Leo could be made to use a rich text editor instead of the
plain text-based one it normally uses.  There's at least one plugin that
does that, though I don't know if it still works.

Anyway, the answer to the question of representing an external Bike file in
Leo is "probably yes, depending on what you want to do with it in Leo".

Reading a little more (Bike: An Elegant Outliner For Mac-Focused Workflows
<https://www.macstories.net/reviews/bike-an-elegant-outliner-for-mac-focused-workflows/>),

it looks like it's an elegant riff off of Dave Winer's MORE outliner.
Surprise, so is Leo!  Dave strikes again.  And OPML is a data format from
... Dave.  Or it could be more reminiscent of Radio Userland
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_UserLand>, another Dave Winer
project.  Anyone else remember Radio Userland?