On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 18:35:15 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:

>Guys,
>I have been searching for information on how to use DEBUGSOURCES to find the
>problem I am having in my program, unfortunately there is very little in the
>source distribution + web pages and nothing other than find|grep to direct you
>to it.  May I suggest that the following which is a compilation of knowledge
>that I have been able to find be, as Jon A. Christopher suggested (Sept. 99),
>placed either into a file called HACKING or appended to BUG-REPORTING, and
>then committed to the repository.
[...]

DEBUGSOURCES is referenced more than once so far,
our new (upcoming) lesstif.1 does and what you cite looks
similar to BUG-HUNTING.html in our doc/www.lesstif.org directory ...

>and now to my current question:
>
>why is it that when I run my app as
>DEBUGSOURCES=all ./app_gui -sync > lt926run.log8 2>&1
>it seems to put all the runtime debug (stuff that occurs after XtAppMainLoop
>is called) info after the run of the app, I expected it to be mixed in with my
>apps printf lines so I could see where stuff, resizes and redraws, was
>happening.

Your "printf()" are sent to stdout, we write to stderr.
Out of my mind I can't really say what effects might happen there.
(is buffering an issue here? just today I explicitly tried to turn off
buffering even for stderr  in DebugUtil.c)

>And is what is dumped at the end just one dump of the last state
>of the app or does it contain the info in a form similar to what I was looking
>for just all scrunched together?
>
>Note:
>DEBUGSOURCES=all ./app_gui -sync >& lt926run.log7
>looks the similar, but I did not get a dump at the end (probably because of ^C
>to end).
>
>I would mail someone the dump but it is 25Mb!!!! and I cant even begin to
>figure out where the info I am looking for is hidden (the problem I am having
>shows up as a visual error on the screen, some of the area is just blanked out
>when I switch from one mode to another i.e. unmanage one set of functional
>elements and manage others in their place).  I will attempt to come up with a
>demo prog but I am having a hard time understanding why this is even
>happening.
>
>Thanks for any help you can give or suggest.
>--

dump = core dump?
This is the last state of the application and useless to us anyway
since it's only really useful on exactly the same system
(or a "clone" of it).

A DEBUGSOURCES=all statement is not a good idea in almost any case,
 it produces too much output.
The approach of trying to design a small app which feature the
same problem or at least to a specific widget has not many alternatives ...

---
Alexander Mai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]