On 04/11/2018 12:39 PM, zz zz wrote:
Hello,
Great project, very educational. Thanks.
A quick question regarding chapter 7.3 and post-LFS config (ch. 3 in Blfs):
Is it really possible to do away with udev altogether or is it still needed?
Under "Devices for Servers" it says: "In some cases, it makes sense to disable udev completely and create static devices. Servers are one example of this situation. " So I guess the answer is yes? I don't quite understand the commands there though:

You would have to write a script to run at boot time to create all the symlinks and directories and premissions and device ownership needed for your system. It would also be tricky to handle removable devices like usb drives.

mount --bind / /mnt
cp -a /dev/* /mnt/dev

It seems to be copying /dev to itself (since / is mounted on /mnt, right?), perhaps "cp -a" removes the symbolic links or maybe make nodes explicitly as files?

That looks nonsensical.   What are you trying to do?

  -- Bruce