> You would have to write a script to run at boot time to create all the
> symlinks and directories and premissions and device ownership needed for
> your system. It would also be tricky to handle removable devices like
> usb drives.

Hmm, I thought the explicit copy (-a) would take care of all that, see below.

>> mount --bind / /mnt
>> cp -a /dev/* /mnt/dev
>>
>> It seems to be copying /dev to itself (since / is mounted on /mnt,
>> right?), perhaps "cp -a" removes the symbolic links or maybe make nodes
>> explicitly as files?

> That looks nonsensical. What are you trying to do?

That's verbatim from the chapter 3 I mentioned. Take a look here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/8.1/postlfs/devices.html
Under the subsection "Devices for Servers".

Maybe I found a bug. :)

It even removes the initial scripts after that (which probably do what you
suggested?)

btw, it could also be useful for embedded systems, which ought to be less niche
than servers.

Cheers.