Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM
From: "Pierre Labastie" <pierrot.labas...@gmail.com>
To: lfs-book@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: [lfs-book] Static Devices
On 14/04/2018 13:29, zz zz wrote:
> > That looks nonsensical. What are you trying to do?
> >
> > -- Bruce
>
> Copied directly from the "finishing up lfs configuration" (post-lfs config,
> in the book)
>
> okay, then should I ask this on the blfs list?

I think blfs-dev would be better for this case. But see my answer below.

> Regards.
>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:54 PM
> *From:* "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> *To:* lfs-book@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
> *Subject:* Re: [lfs-book] Static Devices
> On 04/11/2018 12:39 PM, zz zz wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Great project, very educational. Thanks.
> > A quick question regarding chapter 7.3 and post-LFS config (ch. 3 in Blfs):
> > Is it really possible to do away with udev altogether or is it still needed?
> > Under "Devices for Servers" it says: "In some cases, it makes sense to
> > disable udev completely and create static devices. Servers are one
> > example of this situation. "
> > So I guess the answer is yes? I don't quite understand the commands
> > there though:
>
> You would have to write a script to run at boot time to create all the
> symlinks and directories and premissions and device ownership needed for
> your system. It would also be tricky to handle removable devices like
> usb drives.
>
> > mount --bind / /mnt
> > cp -a /dev/* /mnt/dev
> >
> > It seems to be copying /dev to itself (since / is mounted on /mnt,
> > right?)
Not quite: from "man mount":  ``The bind mount call attaches only (part of) a
single  filesystem,  not
       possible  submounts.'' In other words, since /dev is mounted to the
devtmpfs pseudo-filesystem, after the mount command, /mnt/dev/ contains nothing...
> perhaps "cp -a" removes the symbolic links or maybe make nodes
> > explicitly as files?
Hmmm, where have you seen that on the man page (explanation for Bruce's
comment containing "nonsensical")?

Actually, trial and error is one of the best ways to learn. It seems you
haven't tried the instructions before sending your mail. I suggest you do.
Then, if it works, try to understand why. You may ask on -support, but please
try first; if it does not work, note any error code, result, etc, and report
to -support (or -dev, depending on the matter). Of course, if the instructions
you are trying to run are in the BLFS book, use the blfs- lists. If they are
in the LFS book, use lfs-. -book lists are used normally for tickets and
commits, and direct comments about commits.

Regards,
Pierre