I think I found the problem.  In shadow-4.0.7, the file login.defs has:

# Login configuration initializations:
#
#       ERASECHAR       Terminal ERASE character ('\010' = backspace).
#       KILLCHAR        Terminal KILL character ('\025' = CTRL/U).
#       UMASK           Default "umask" value.
#       ULIMIT          Default "ulimit" value.
#
# The ERASECHAR and KILLCHAR are used only on System V machines.
# The ULIMIT is used only if the system supports it.
#
# Prefix these values with "0" to get octal, "0x" to get hexadecimal.
#
ERASECHAR       010
KILLCHAR        025
UMASK           022
ULIMIT          2097152

If I change the 010 to

ERASECHAR       127

Everyting works fine.  Checking an older configuration, I have

ERASECHAR       0177

which is the same thing.

Can someone else confirm this? If so, I think the book needs to consider a sed to fix the problem.

  -- Bruce