On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> SSL/SSH != minimalistic
>
> I realize your suggestion Jim is a concession to a serious drawback
> in the new methodology, but just in the hour or so since you posted
> you message, there been talk of adding SSS, SSL, Lynx and GPM to
> core LFS (not all mentioned by you, Jim)
>
> What's next?

nfs-utils ? (all my source is on an nfs mount).  Cross-compiling is a
very educational experience, for those few who manage to complete it
(I've cross-compiled kernels, cross-compiling a full system is more than
an order of magnitude harder).

But building in an absolutely-minimal new system is very much a "hair
shirt" experience - do it if you have to, but it isn't something to seek
out.  Some of us have enough problems just getting our new systems to
boot, forcing everybody to reboot into a "super-lean" system to build
the real system would limit participation.

Multi-Architecture good.  Cross-building painful.

Ken