On Sat, 14 May 2005, M.Canales.es wrote:

> El Sábado, 14 de Mayo de 2005 01:42, Archaic escribió:
>
> Lastly, IMHO the combo HOST != TARGET only is usefull in two cases:
>
> To build a full system (with X, servers, etc...) in a fast machine that will
> be later instaled in a slow machine.
>
> Or to build a minimal system to can boot a machine that have no system
> instaled yet. But in that case you must have physical acces, then you can use
> also a BooCD to boot the machine and to install LFS using HOST=TARGET.

 I think I've got a third - machines that can run a 32-bit or a 64-bit
system (i.e. x86_64 or ppc64) that are currently running 32-bit (i686 or
ppc).  It's easy enough to install current 32-bit LFS on them, upgrading
to multilib should be educational (I'm trying at the moment, learning a
lot about the toolchain so far, but a very long way from completing).

 Specifically, I'm hoping to build a 64-bit kernel (done that part),
then use that with the 32-bit userspace to build the multilib.

 Or do you propose that those of us moving to 'fatter' machines should
rely on new boot CDs ?

 Of course, even if you agree that this is a valid way of building, it
may be better as a hint.  To some extent, that probably depends on how
much the process differs from a multilib linux host building a new
multilib LFS for itself.

Ken