The coreutils installation page (in both Chapters 5 and 6) strongly recommends adding "DEFAULT_POSIX2_VERSION=199209" to the configure command. I've installed lfs several times over the last couple of months without that, and never had a problem. It is possible that it may still be needed in chapter 6 (since that is the version that will be used for the final system, and who knows what will be installed...) but for chapter 5 it might not be needed. Obviously some further testing should be done to verify this (all I know is it works fine on my own system) but I just thought I'd mention it.

And a few grammar/syntax issues...

I think all mentions of "./configure" (aside from when it tells you to actually run that specific command) should just say "configure". Sometimes it's actually "../[packagename-version]/configure.

In Preface #7 - Errata...

"Security warnings, and bug fixes may become available after the LFS book has been released."

That sentence shouldn't have a comma (I presume still left over from when the page referred to "new features").

In 2.3 "Preparing a New Partition"...

"We will create an ext2 file system, however build instructions for other file systems can be found at..."

The comma should probably be a period, and put a comma after "however".