Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Victor Nilsson wrote:
>>
>> In Gentoo bash reads /etc/bash/bashrc when it's started as non-login
>> shell, which can prevent a clean environment from being created (the
>> default file however is only used for settings PS1).
>
> I wonder if they changed the bash man page too?  Look at the section on
> INVOCATION.  The behavior you describe is definitely non-standard.

Non-standard indeed. One has to edit config-top.h by hand (SYS_BASHRC) to
enable the functionality. Debian have started doing this too.

It certainly is a potential hole for unwanted stuff to leak into the build
environment on the affected hosts.. tho' most settings I've seen in there
to date are fairly tame and unlikely to affect the build.

Victor's suggestions on how to fix may well be plausible, but they'd need
to be tested on a wide range of hosts before implementing them. The
current method is already a bit kludgey.. it could end up even kludgier...

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/