On 7/16/05, Alexander E. Patrakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> I suspected that the new text about locales at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.1/chapter07/profile.html is
> still wrong. Judging from the message, it is evident that Thomas Trepl
> has never tried [EMAIL PROTECTED] (case-sensitive), LC_ALL
> unset (that's what the book recommends now). If that works, there is no
> need to change the text. My testing here shows that X accepts such
> locale name.
>
> Background: glibc treats charset names in the locale names
> case-insensitively and ignores hyphens. So, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] are the same thing for glibc. But not for
> applications/libraries that parse locale names themselves, without the
> help from glibc. Xlib is one of those picky libraries, and fluxbox is
> just a victim. LFS should provide readers with the means to guess the
> locale name that will be accepted by such picky packages.

So, if I read that correctly, the Xlib library is broken, and you'd
like the LFS instructions to (possibly) be modified to workaround the
problem?

Something like:

Some applications and libraries that use locale information directly
instead of through the glibc interface incorrectly rely on the LC
variables you have set above being case-sensitive. You should run the
"locale -something" command to get the correct value to use for the LC
variables to work around issues with these broken applications and
libraries.

I'm assuming the Xlib maintainers have been notified of the problem as well?

-- -
Steve Crosby