My current conclusion is that my clock problem is something more
serious than just a drift (the system clock gains a lot, and not
constant amounts), maybe involving acpi, timers (hpet++), rtc,
interrupts and whatnot, all of which I have just a limited
understanding.

(Probably not much of an LFS-issue, please bear over with me...)

If anybody with an Asus A8n-sli (or derivative) mainboard is reading
this, it would be great if you could send me (or post of course)
a copy of your kernel's .config-file. I'm really questioning if
I have a compatible and/or correct choice of features enabled in
my own .config... (http://bombadil.kicks-ass.net:8080/config-2.6.12.4c)

J.O.