Jim Gifford wrote:

One of things I've been mulling over is maybe have cross-lfs just build the toolchains, but the rest of the stuff, currently the temp-system and final-system of Cross-LFS, could be the future LFS book that supports multiple architectures.

I'll put my comments in now that I'm on a working machine.

I'm putting my X behinds Jims proposal, pretty much for the exact reason he outlined in it, almost to the letter.

I feel that as a seperate project the cross-build process will benifit the straight LFS project and vice a versa in finding bugs/incompatabilies/new features maybe ? I jus think it opens doors, and on serious issues puts double the brain power/resources/testing behind it. I think as long as information is shared in a two way street after a short learning period the two groups will see massive benifits. Also as a good few people will work/have interest in both projects it will really open more possabilities and ideas.

There seems to be a concern that in time the cross-process will replace the straight build process. I can't see it myself unless there is a real lead towards this. If I'm building a 32bit x86 host for example, its easier for me to stick the live CD in and build it straight, if I have a sun box running, solaris 64 bit, its easier for me to build LFS 64 straight. Granted I'll probably cross-build a few things for the sake of it for interests sake, as cross-building has found some really unusual bugs, which the LFS community are aware of and I think will be usefull in the next LFS release or dev book, but as a whole straight architecture building shouldn't go away unless the LFS project decideds that cross-building is the way to go.

I'm backing this all the way, I think it will be a real benifit for all, and help keep things clear.

Matt