I've been trying to understand why the findutils testsuites were failing in Cross-LFS. The first problem (the xargs suite) could be fixed by adding a /bin/echo symlink (we were using /tools/bin/echo when the test ran, and the xargs tests were rewritten for 4.2.25 - if no action is specified for xargs, /bin/echo is the default). However, completing the xargs tests without failure meant the locate tests then tried to run - to cut a long story short, these tests all work if coreutils has been installed in the final system.

I ran builds with our then current order, and with coreutils moved (to where it is in LFS) and compared the results, expecting to find a binary was different. In fact, the binaries were all identical (except for the normal variation in a little of the libc++ stuff), but I discovered that the installed updatedb differed.

Updatedb is a script. With the build order rearranged, it references /usr/bin/sort. With the old build order, it references /tools/bin/sort which obviously only works when /tools is available.

Fixed in r6968, users of previous builds should edit /usr/bin/updatedb and edit the several sort="/tools/bin/sort" lines.

Ken
--
 das eine Mal als Trag?die, das andere Mal als Farce