Ken Moffat wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Duncan Webb wrote:

Hi all,

Just build the boot stages of Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051023-x86_64 from a LFS 6.1 (32-bit) system. I've noticed a few small errors that I would like to report.

5.4. Build Variables
Following the commands will set LFS_TARGET to i686-pc-linux-gnu, which works until building glibc. Changing LFS_TARGET to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu allowed me to complete the build.

The book (5.3) says:

| Now you will need to set the target triplet for the target
| architecure. You can do this by running the same command as above,
| just running it on the target machine. If you can't run the command on | the target machine, you can use the table at the bottom of this page.

 What's the problem ?

Sorry, didn't make that too clear, but typing in the commands exactly as described set my LFS_TARGET to i686-pc-linux-gnu which was incorrect. The cause was because I was building the stuff on an Athlon64 build only using 32bit code. I did work it out but it took some time and a lot of googling.

What would have helped is an example of what they should be set to. I didn't realise that the table represented the value of LFS_TARGET.

  One minor points

A few of the instructions in chapter 6 say something like:

echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" >> config.cache
CC="${CC} ${BUILD64}" ./configure ...

wouldn't it be better to say:
echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" > config.cache
because if the configure has already been run then the cache file should be truncated.

I've assumed that _some_ architectures already write to config.cache in these cases, but I haven't looked too deeply (the aim is to keep the text common between the different architectures, so e.g. the multilib/foo-64.xml will include chunks from common/foo.xml). Maybe there is a better way to set it out ? - obviously just '>config.cache' would do it in all cases where it is needed, but it would look clunky.

Wouldn't think that it would make any difference which architecture you use there shouldn't be a config.cache until either one in initialised as described or configure has been run once.

Ken

9.4. Expect-5.43.0
I think the configure line should be:
CC="gcc ${BUILD64}" ./configure --prefix=/tools --with-tcl=/tools/lib \
  --with-tclinclude=$TCLPATH --with-x=no
because the tools have not yet been built to default to 64bit.

10.3. Glibc-20050926
Got an error during make check, did make install and then make check again, the check had no error after the install, odd behaviour.

Hope this helps

10.5. Binutils-2.16.1
I'm getting there errors which running check, any idea what I should do?
Running /sources/binutils-2.16.1/ld/testsuite/ld-bootstrap/bootstrap.exp ...
FAIL: bootstrap
FAIL: bootstrap with strip
FAIL: bootstrap with --traditional-format
FAIL: bootstrap with --no-keep-memory
FAIL: bootstrap with --relax
Running /sources/binutils-2.16.1/ld/testsuite/ld-cdtest/cdtest.exp ...
FAIL: cdtest
FAIL: cdtest with -Ur

TIA
Duncan