Duncan Webb wrote:
Matthew Burgess wrote:

Forwarding from blfs-dev, where an ALSA related thread went just a little off-topic for BLFS :)
2) Add these two rules to LFS default rules file:

ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"
RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd"

Don't think that RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd" is requires for LFS as it doesn't use devfs any more.

This is not for devfs! This is for compatibility with obsolete packages that still install scriptlets into /etc/dev.d. I.e., after /dev/lp0 is created, this rule executes the following scripts if they exist:

        /etc/dev.d/lp0/*.dev
        /etc/dev.d/printer/*.dev
        /etc/dev.d/default/*.dev

This may be used in order to download firmware into certain printers (/etc/dev.d/lp0/firmware.dev contains "#!/bin/sh cat firmware >/dev/lp0" then). More modern approach is to use RUN+=... rules instead of dev.d scriptlets. BTW BLFS 6.1 uses a dev.d scriptlet for ALSA volume restoration (BLFS SVN converted this to the RUN rule).

So you are right that LFS and BLFS SVN contain no such obsolete packages that need /etc/dev.d.

I think that you can also add:
Add the rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/60-hotplug.rules
#
# usbfs-like device nodes
SUBSYSTEM="usb_device", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'X=%k X=$${X#usbdev} B=$${X%%%%.*} D=$${X#*.}; echo bus/usb/$$B/$$D'", SYMLINK+="%c"

Only after linux-2.6.14 please, and synchronously with patching libusb in BLFS and removing the /proc/bus/usb mount. But those rules will of course do no harm with earlier kernel.

# be backward compatible for a while with the /etc/dev.d and /etc/hotplug.d/ systems # run /etc/hotplug.d/ stuff only if we came from a hotplug event, not for udevstart
ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"

Correct. But that alone doesn't run /etc/dev.d stuff, you need RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd" for that.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that pciutils (plus pcimodules-pciutils-2.1.11.diff patch) and usbutils are also needed.

They are needed with 2.4 kernels only (i.e.: not needed at all in LFS) for hotplug to work correctly. All the needed information is gathered from sysfs with 2.6 kernels.

To log hotplug events you could also add:

What's wrong with the current way to log events into /var/log/hotplug/events?

BTW Acpid is also quite useful for laptops and powering down by a quick press of the power button.

Sure! but that's on-topic for blfs-dev.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov