Archaic wrote:

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:02:49PM -0100, Duncan Webb wrote:
Running a NTP daemon requires a permanent internet connection. Dual boot usually requires the clock in local time, that's clear.

Absolutely and totally false. Please do your research before making such
statements.
I thought that ntpd, be default, syncs with the time server every five minutes and that you could use ntpdate in the cron to keep the system clock up-to-date (that is the what is said in the IPcop manual) and Windows stores time in local time. Don't quiet see what is totally false.

What I don't understand is why anybody would have a problem syncing the hardware clock to the system clock at reboot/power off. After all the system clock is synced to the hardware clock at boot.

I see Ken beat me to the punch WRT to both the "your distro, your rules"
mantra, *and* the relevant discussions of old. When I took over the
maintenance of the time hint
(http://www.lfs-matrix.org/hints/downloads/files/time.txt) I, too, was
of the opinion that the system clock would be more accurate than the
hwclock. I was inundated with examples of that not being true and
included one such example in the hint itself. Thus, the realization that
we cannot assume which is more accurate.
Good hint.

BTW, depending on how *you* want to do things, you can either run ntpd
manually from time to time or via cron and create the symlinks or forget
ntpd altogether. It's completely your call. ;)
There are other ways to sync time, such as the alevt-date command from the alevt package which syncs to teletext time. Quiet useful if the system is for a MythTV or Freevo box and not connected to the internet.

Okay, may be a little note in the LFS book saying that the hardware clock is not set to the system clock because the hardware clock can be more accurate than the system clock. If in the case that the system clock is more accurate than the hardware clock then add the following sysmlinks...