Gerard Beekmans wrote:

There exist programs like checkinstall, install-log, and myriad others by now that are able to get us that kind of information. These programs and scripts act as wrappers around "make install" processes usually and track what is being done (and output of these tools can be used to uninstall packages too if needed).

I'd be very insterested in developing a system using these packages that tells us what we need to know while still providing the level of flexibility and simplicity that the others were afraid would be lost.

--
JH