Dan Nicholson wrote:
location like it does with /tools).  Greg gets away with this by
putting right at the beginning that DIY is not for newbies and you
should go to LFS if you are.

Which isn't right. LFS is about education, but not educating 'newbies'. Note that I interepret newbies to be linux newbies, not building-from-scratch newbies.

90% of the people in lfs-dev do it anyway, but LFS seems to maintain
that its prerequisite is that you have a technical Linux background,
not that you have experience building full systems from scratch.

Exactly. As it should be. (Perhaps we need to make that more visible?) Which is why we've also started talking removing some of the hand-holding text. If we expect them to have done the essential pre-reading, then it should be necessary to have done that (or an equivalent) in order to follow LFS successfully.

This whole thing is up to interpretation, but I believe adding the
fakeroot method by default would end up hammering lfs-support.  On the

If LFS is geared towards advanced users, then lfs-support should be as well.

--
JH