On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

There are 4 lines that, to me, stand out:

unexpected FAIL: /usr/bin/libtool is different
unexpected FAIL: /usr/bin/vim differs after stripping and processing
unexpected FAIL:
/usr/include/c++/4.0.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/stdc++.h.gch/O0g.gch is
different
unexpected FAIL:
/usr/include/c++/4.0.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/stdc++.h.gch/O2g.gch is
different

The libtool is easy to explain, the differences in that amount to a
different hostname used for each build. It contains a line like this:

# Libtool was configured on host lfslivecd

My hostname changed on the two builds - one was done on the livecd and
the second, I rebooted into the new system and built on that.

hmm, I haven't allowed for the hostname changing between builds, and I'm not sure that I can - almost anything might be a hostname. I guess that is probably also true for Config_heavy.pl (hostname appears as part of the target system in that one).

there are also a few things which suggest differences in the config files for the bootscripts, missing files, but they don't look likely to be important.

The vim one puzzles me a bit. :/ Also, I'm hoping that the stdc++.h.gch
differences are due to the randomness that Ken and Greg talked about.

I think vim might be more of this c++ randomness, your report makes me think I've seen this in the dim and distant past, but not recently. OTOH, I haven't done any comparison of x86 vim-6.4 builds.

The stdc++.h.gch is new to me, I guess this must be one of the precompiled headers. Possibly I've missed building these in the past. I can't start an x86 build for a few days, so don't expect me to confirm this any time soon.

Ken