Thomas Pegg wrote:
DJ Lucas wrote:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/blfs-xorg7/x/xorg7.html

EXAMPLE ONLY...none of it has been tested at all. It's only there to show one possible screen/book layout, IMO the most presentable. I'll beat it into shape over the next few days as I build it (I'll be following Thomas' book for reference).

I know you haven't tested this DJ, but I'll make a few comments anyway.
To me it looks pretty good in my view, much more compact. Though I do want to point out one thing, is that with Mesa not only do you need the sources around for compiling the server, but a seperate full install of Mesa is needed to build the GL libraries, there not built inline with the server anymore, the sources are only needed to build the DRI support.

Thanks for the heads up....I'll try and get to it tomorrow or thursday night. I'm unusually busy for this time of the year (in comparison to the last 10 years at least, save for the y2k rollover). Anyway, that may be another reason to try out the look and feel of the 7 page variant: proto, lib, mesa, server, driver, apps, and config each on their own page (that order if I understood the above notes correctly, but I didn't have time to look yet). The single page might begin to look real cluttered once the rest of the content is thrown at it.

And the libraries section will have to be adjusted so the libraries are built in the correct order.

Since the 'for, in' output is already put into alphanumeric order, I had thought about simply renaming the tarballs that require specific order; prepend with 01, 02, 03... Assuming that all the lib packages can be built with the same configure flags...if not, then those one-offs will have to be built separately.

But otherwise it's a pretty good layout.

Thanks, but yeah, it's majorly screwed for deps and order yet. It was just so that I could actually see if it would work well for readablility and presentation. I haven't had the time to do the 7 secction layout, or even build it yet for that matter. I do still want to see both layouts (complete) side by side. I'll definately be refering to the long layout come build/formalizing time, if I get the free time that is.

Thanks again.

-- DJ Lucas