Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>
>> This is NOT safe if either of those library files are currently
>> linked into any process that's running!
>>
> They are not used. Certainly :)
>
> The used file may be /lib/libncursesw.so.5 (which is a symlink
> pointing to 5.5).

If it's a symlink, then it *won't* be linked into any running process.
The target of the symlink (libncursesw.so.5.5) may be, though.

(/proc/<PID>/maps is helpful here -- in some cases anyway.)

> The (completely different) file affected by "echo" is
> /usr/lib/libncurses.so (note: this is not a symlink), which is used
> only by /usr/bin/ld while building packages.

Ah, I see.  I must have seen the ".so" part, but then read ".so.5" or
".so.5.2" or something.  OK, never mind then.  :-)

(They might be used if a compile is running, however that can't happen
in the book as it is now.)