Bryan Kadzban wrote:
Second, I'm not so sure that gcc-2.95.3 is valid anymore.  Certainly it
isn't valid for the kernel; it might be less confusing to just require
gcc-3.x (or greater) for the entire system.

My initial intent when opening the bug was to react to DIY statement that they can bootstrap from a certain old distro, without mentioning what's actually required. So, mentioning the exact requirements is essential for becoming better than DIY in this aspect (even if the actual bootstrappability is worse).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov