On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I've already tried a DESTDIR install and it seems to work there.
>
> I'm not sure we need the --datadir entry at all.  Mounts are done before
> any kbd programs are called, so having the support files in /usr
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-vlock
>
> seems to fix things up putting all the kbd support files in /usr/share.
>
>    -- Bruce

 We move kbd_mode, loadkeys, openvt, setfont to /bin at the end of
the install with an explanation:

"Some of the scripts in the LFS-Bootscripts package depend on
kbd_mode, loadkeys, openvt, and setfont. As /usr may not be
available during the early stages of booting, those binaries need to
be on the root partition:"

 Is that outdated ?  If so, no need to move those programs.  But if
we do still need to move them, I'm a lot happier with /bin/loadkeys
and /bin/setfont getting the keymaps and fonts from /lib.

 With your sed : sed -i 's/@datadir@/@localedir@/' po/Makefile.in.in
and using the existing instructions with --localedir=/usr/share,
the locales do go into the correct place (from a DESTDIR build) as
you noted.

 The easiest way to test that the translations appear is to use
"dumpkeys -h".  There are also translations for many of the
languages with "loadkeys.h" and a one-liner usage for "getkeycodes
-h".  Those can all be run from an xterm or equivalent (that might
make more of them legible - zh_CN is never going to work in a
console.  After copying kbd.mo locale files to /usr/share I've
got translations from dumpkeys with LC_ALL= cs_cz, da_DK, de_AT,
el_GR, es_ES, id_ID, it_CH, nl_BE, pl_PL, ro_RO, ru_RU, sv_FI,
tr_TR, uk_UA, vi_VN, zh_CN (all .UTF8).

 With the exception of vi_VN and zh_CN those all render in my
console with my LatGrkCyr font. Vietnamese can work, but you won't
get much else except english from a screen font that handles it.

 I suspect that the turkish is a bit garbled - it seems to have a
lot of dollar signs in it.

ĸen