On my desktops, I use a script to run updatedb, followed by mandb,
every day or so.  This runs from root's fcrontab, so it is one of
the first things to get run on a new system.  Last night it failed
with a message that it could not write to
/var/cache/man/something/else - no such file or directory.  After
running mkdir /var/cache/man I was able to run the script from the
commandline.

 I haven't needed to create this directory before, and the only
place it shows up in my previous desktop build was very late in
the build, possibly when mandb was running in the background.

ĸen