> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 21:16:01 -0700
> From: Bryan Kadzban <br...@kadzban.is-a-geek.net>
> Subject: Re: [lfs-dev] Major changes in -dev
>

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > I did have a private email with a volunteer to write a hint.  If I get
> > that, I'll add a note in the systemd section that points there.
>
> I saw a commit mail to -book that added the hint link.
>
> However, if someone (like me...) *really really* doesn't want systemd, and
> knows it from the get-go, shouldn't they avoid building all the other junk
> like libacl / libattr / expat / *dbus* / etc., too?  The current list of
> packages that are only necessary because systemd was added are in the hint,
> but how do we keep those packages in that state?
>
> Because now that all this stuff is present, I can see a whole lot of changes
> that don't realize they're adding even more dependence on these libraries,
> because the libs are there in all the testing, which follows the book.  For
> any such change, I would rather default to not making it than force the extra
> libraries, although what to actually do depends on what each change is and
> which library in particular it needs.
>
> (dbus can go jump off a cliff with its abort() calls from a library, crashing
> the X server and breaking video hardware.  expat is annoying but not quite so
> much as dbus.  libacl/libcap and whatever else are at least small and simple,
> but having e.g. acl support in coreutils seems like it has some side effects
> that aren't clear yet.)

There was some discussion on this lately - e.g.:
--
--
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.devel/15056
--

As noted in the thread, I guess there may be some mitigation via the
'Dependencies' appendix.

But otherwise, yes, with current lfs, you're not quite getting sysd per-se
shoved down your throat: it's 'just' the 'experiment with sysd' stuff,
that's essentially enforced - or at least, for some 'reason', made not easy
to side-step, via e.g. some pretty simple parametrising.

(( Meantime, here, internally we'll continue to param (auto-)builds properly;
and if/when sysd ever gets included in such auto-suite, then its deps-chain
will be parametrised properly too.
))

rgds,
akh