Le 13/04/2014 19:06, Bruce Dubbs a écrit :
> I would like to get the opinion of the community.  Right now we have
> four tickets:
>
> #3537 MPFR-3.1.2 Patchlevel 5
> #3536 Fix BC-1.06.95 bug
> #3532 Readline-6.3 patchlevel 3
> #3532 Bash-4.3 patchlevel 8
>
> All of these call for adding patches from upstream.  My question is
> whether it should be the policy of LFS to add these types of upstream
> patches to the book when upstream does not feel the need to release a
> new stable version to make these fixes.
>
> In the case of BC, I think that it may be reasonable since there has
> been no stable releases since 2006.  However, the fact that the problem
> has evidently been around for 8 years and is now just coming up
> indicates the level of importance.
>
> For the others, I'm even less sure.
>
> My problem is not with making the specific patches mentioned, but what
> the policy should be.  Should we be checking all packages daily for
> these types of patches?  Clearly that would be a time consuming task.
>
> If we are going to patch, what patches should be used?  There are
> patches from various sources: Debian, Arch, Gentoo, as well as the
> originating site.  These are not always the same.
>
> Generally, these patches address corner cases and rarely come up in
> common usage.
>
> What's your opinion?
>
>    -- Bruce

I am not sure either:
- for packages which do not have frequent releases (clearly, bash and
readline, but also ncurses comes to mind), I would say that upstream patches
are equivalent to new point versions of other packages, so maybe include them.
- when there is a security threat, it usually is fixed rapidly upstream, but
often only in svn or git. Take the patch from the commit.
- when the package does not build, of course, we have to release patches.
Where to preferably take them, I do not know.

Pierre