Thomas Seeling wrote:
Hallo,

I rebuilt LFS from SVN with kernel 4.15 gcc 7.3 on i686.

# head -n7 /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 9
microcode       : 0x3

PTI offers mitigation against Meltdown, retpoline against Spectre v2.

Basic LFS compiles fine with book settings, apart from grub where a
minimal change was required in the final build of binutils 2.30. I admit
I simply hacked the script 082-binutils in lfs-commands to achieve that.

configure needs the following switch on 32 bit systems:
--enable-64-bit-bfd

Thomas, Have you tested you built grub? When I investigate the enable-64-bit-bfd option, the comment I see is "64-bit support (on hosts with narrower word sizes)" I am thinking about adding this unconditionally, but am a bit concerned that grub will try to run 64-bit code on a 32-bit system (and crash). I'm not sure that adding the option to a normal 64-bit build will hurt anyting, but I'll test that.

  -- Bruce