On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 07:50:48AM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > p.s. I still hope to get Meltdown/Spectre patches for linux-4.1.x
> > i686 builds.
>
> As Linux 4.1 is a longterm series, you should get these patches.
> Though, I’d just update to the latest Linux kernel release, also for
> finding regressions, if you are interested in i686 working well.

A second version of the i686 meltdown patches were posted this week.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/5/173 - I guess in a few weeks a later
version will get into Linus's tree and then into the maintained
kernels.

For Spectre, I think the amelioration is already in the stable
trees, certainly it's in 4.9 and I think it will work on i686, with
gcc-7.3 for the full mitigation.  But I agree meltdown is the bigger
problem.

But no, building on most i686 machines became painful years ago
(for typical home users, the memory was small and, by current
standards, slow).  Today, x86_64 with less than 8GB can be painful
when building some packages.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.