On 06/20/2018 10:03 AM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 20/06/2018 08:38, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
On 2018-06-19 10:27 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 2018-06-19 09:45 -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
A)
rename:
Libstdc++-8.1.0 -> GCC-8.1.0-pass2
GCC-8.1.0-pass2  -> GCC-8.1.0-pass3
I think we can use "GCC-8.1.0 C++ Runtime Library" just like
"Linux-4.17.1 API Headers".
Is that really necessary?  The very first line after the title is:

"Libstdc++ is the standard C++ library."
After all, I think "Libstdc++-8.1.0" is quite strange.  In fact the
version
of libstdc++ is 6.0.25.  Upstream uses the name "GCC 8.1 Standard C++
Library"
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/>.

FWIIW: Technically, the installation of libstdc++ completes gcc-pass1.
It has to be deferred to after building glibc, because libstdc++ uses
it. Maybe, we could have:

- on the gcc-pass1 page, in "the meaning of the configure options",
about --disable-libstdcxx (separate it from the other "--disable-xxx"):
"This switch disables building the standard C++ library, which is
normally part of GCC installation. The C++ standard library is needed to
compile C++ code (part of GCC is written in C++), but we have to defer
its installation, because it depends on glibc, which is not yet
available in /tools. The installation of GCC-pass1  will be completed
when installing libstdc++ (make an xref to the libstdc++ page)"

- on the "libstdc++" page: change the title to "GCC-<version> - End of
Pass1"
Change the introduction to: "Now that glibc is available, the
installation of GCC-pass1 can be completed by building the standard C++
library. It is needed for the correct operation of the g++ compiler."

As usual when I write what I think is English, this text certainly needs
review...

IMHO, Xi Ruoyao was right on the spot with its counter-proposal.
Its consistent with fact, libstdc++ in embedded within GCC and
the way linux header generation was presented in the book.
My 2 cents.

--

A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                        E-Mail: j...@safe.ca