On 9/4/2019 5:08 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
Just got an answer from an artix guy. There is a project maintained (well,
there has not been any commit since 2012) by gentoo:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/openrc-settingsd.git/
which actually also includes hostnamed and timedated (but no corresponding ctl
programs).
It seems to depend on openrc, but I am not sure the dependency is too hard,
and I think it could be patched to use our own /etc/sysconfig settings...

That too sounds like one possible way to go. The goal is to take the good (subjective) from systemd and to provide an environment that dependent programs can build against without it (and without putting the onus on downstream). Obviously o.fd.login1 is needed, but I'm just not sure that means reproducing or modifying as much of systemd as we can without it as PID1. What do we actually need from the FDO namespace, and can that include OpenRC and SysVinit (S6 and runnit too I'd guess)?  I guess I'm just warning you away from the rabbit hole if what you have now can achieve the immediate goal.