On 9/21/19 11:20 PM, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:

On 9/21/2019 11:13 PM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
Seems odd to depend on the overall setting.  If loadable modules support is set, but you don't build any modules, why should the SW care?

I agree that the above would be a little unusual, but the test should not be whether the kernel is wired for modules, but if the module files actually exist.

I don't have an answer for that. I'm not sure that it should. I guess I'll dig through kernel archives to see if this is something legacy and forgotten, or a deliberate choice. Short answer is that we should probably be doing this, even if we've built no modules. I just don't know how to handle the case where "# CONFIG_MODULES is not set" - obviously this can't be a supported configuration for firewalld as it is currently written, and I don't know if there is a more elegant solution.

I wonder if the firewalld authors have considered the case of a kernel without modules. I don't know of any of the major distros that do not use modules. User configured kernels are a relatively rare situation (not for us of course). You can make a case for saying the not building any modules but enabling module support is a misconfiguration.

What we have is:

Install the modules, if the kernel configuration uses them:
  make modules_install

Perhaps a simple rewording to:

Install the modules, unless module support has been disabled in the kernel configuration:

Or reversing:

Unless module support has been disabled in the kernel configuration,
install the modules with:

  -- Bruce